Amelia Earhart Life Story-World Famous Woman Pilot

Amelia Earhart Life Story
Amelia Earhart

Amelia Mary Earhart Biography
Amelia Mary Earhart: July 24, 1897 - missing July 2, 1937, declared dead January 5, 1939), daughter of Edwin and Amy Earhart, was an aviation pioneer, author, and U.S. feminists.

Earhart was the first woman to receive the Distinguished Flying Cross.Ia received the award because he was the first woman to fly alone across the Atlantic.

He also made many other records, wrote a book which sold most of his flying experience, and has an important role in the establishment of Ninety-Nine, an organization of women pilots.

Earhart disappeared mysteriously in the Pacific Ocean near Howland Island in an attempt to round the world flight in 1937. Interest in the life, career, and the mystery of Earhart's disappearance still continues today.

Amelia Mary Earhart, daughter of Samuel "Edwin" Stanton Earhart (1868-1930)  and Amelia Otis Earhart (1869-1962),  was born in his grandparents' home in Atchison, Kansas. Amelia's grandfather was Alfred Otis, a former federal judge, president of the Atchison Savings Bank and a leading citizen in Atchison. He initially did not approve of the marriage and are less satisfied with the development of Edwin, as a lawyer. It is said to contribute to the family of Amelia mess. Some biographers have speculated that the history of denial and doubt followed Amelia continued throughout his childhood tomboy as a child to his career as an aviator in his adult life.

According to family custom, the name comes from two grandmother Amelia (Amelia Josephine Harres and Mary Wells Patton).  In his childhood, Amelia ("Meeley", sometimes also called "Milie") supposedly likes to play with her younger sister . Amelia is the leader and his sister, Grace Muriel (1899-1998) or "Pidge" as loyal followers.

There adventurous look at yourself Earhart as a child by exploring their neighbors for an exciting chase. They often climb trees, sliding off the hill by sled and hunt rats with a rifle. They keep "worms, moths, katydid and tree frogs in the collection that they collect. Neither they both continue to use their names in their childhood to adulthood.

Their education outside of the rules and customs since Amy Earhart did not want to shape their children into "good little boy". While the maternal grandmother they did not receive sweatpants "Bloomers" are worn by children Amy, and although Amelia liked the freedom gained from wearing pants, he realized that the other neighbor girls not wearing it.
In 1904, with the help of his uncle, he was with making a kind of sled after he saw the jet sacristan during a visit to St. Petersburg. Louis and secured the object onto the roof of the family toolshed. The first flight ended with a dramatic Amelia. He came from a broken wooden box that he run as a sled with torn clothes and a sensation of excitement. He stated, "Oh, Pidge, it feels like flying!"

Looking at the aircraft
Amelia Earhart -World Famous Woman Pilot
Amelia Earhart 

Amelia was 10 years old when his father, Edwin, who was a railroad executive, was promoted and sent to Des Moines, Iowa. At age 11, in Des Moines, Amelia saw an airplane in the state of Iowa charitable marketplace. His father tried to attract his interest and his brother in the flight. Later he described it as "... something that is full of rusty wire and wood and not at all interesting." and requested that they be re-ride the carousel.


While his father and mother found the little house in Des Moines, Amelia and Muriel stay with their grandparents in Atchison. Until he was 12 years old, Amelia and her sister received education in the form of "school house" of her mother and a teacher. He later recounted that he "loves to read" and spend time in the family library. In 1909, when his family finally reunited in Des Moines, Earhart follows the public school for the first time with Amelia entered the seventh grade.

Being a nurse

During the Christmas holidays in 1917, he visited his brother in Toronto, Ontario. World War I has occurred and Amelia saw wounded soldiers returning home. After receiving training as assistant nurses from the Red Cross, he started work at Spadina Military Hospital in Toronto, Ontario. His duties included preparing food in the kitchen for patients with special diet and prescribed a doctor at the hospital. He continued working at the hospital until the armistice that ended World War I was signed in November 1918.

At that time, he visited the exhibition which was held in Toronto with a young lady friend. One important event is held is the exhibition of aircraft flight conducted by "experts" of World War I [26]. A pilot drove the plane close to Earhart and her friend, and something inside Earhart said:
"I do not understand at the time, but I believe that little red airplane said something to me when sizzling. "

He suffered a sinus infection that year. This occurred before antibiotics existed and she under medical care. The procedure is not successful and Earhart suffered a sharp headache attacks. This continues to happen almost a year and he spent time at his brother's house in Northampton, Massachusetts. He spent his time reading poetry, learning to play banjo and studying mechanics. In 1919, Earhart prepares to enroll at Smith, but he changed his mind and signed up to Columbia University to study medicine in preparation. He quit a year later in order to assist parents who are now reunited in California.

The first flying experience

In Long Beach, he and his father went to an airfield. On the airfield, Frank Hawks (later known as air racer) gave him a ride to forever change Earhart's life.
"By the time I reached two or three hundred feet above the surface, I knew I had to fly. "
After he flew for ten minutes, he immediately decided to learn to fly.

Learning a pilot

He worked as a photographer, truck driver, and worked in the local telephone company to raise money $ 1000 which will be used for flying lessons. Earhart has made its first flight lesson that began on January 3, 1921 at Kinner airfield near Long Beach. But to reach the airfield, Amelia had to take a bus to the finish line, then had to walk 4 miles.  Her teacher was Anita Snook, a pioneer female aviator who used Curtiss JN-4 "Canuck" for training. Amelia arrived with her father and a request:

"I want to fly. Will you teach me? "

Six months later Earhart purchased a yellow Kinner double-winged airplane Airster he called "Canary." On October 22, 1922, he flew at an altitude of 14,000 feet, and create women's world record. On May 15, 1923 Earhart became the 16th woman to earn a pilot license (number 6017) by the Federation Aeronautique Internationale (FAI).

Aviation career and marriage

During this period, her grandmother managed by his mother incessantly eroded until eventually die out due to a failed investment in a cast mine. At the same time, Earhart a chronic health problem, ie sinus disease re-emerged. In early 1924, he entered the hospital for sinus surgery that failed. Therefore, without hope of closing his career in aviation, Earhart sold Canary and bought a yellow Kissel roadster which he named the Yellow Peril ("Yellow Danger").

Her parents divorced in 1924 and he led her across the United States with "yellow danger" to the Boston, Massachusetts. In Boston, in 1925, Amelia underwent sinus surgery. Earhart eventually successful sinus surgery. After surgery, he returned for several months to Columbia University but was forced to abandon his studies and further plans for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology because his mother can not afford the tuition. Soon after, he worked as a teacher, after which he worked as a social worker in 1925 in Denison house, live in Medford. Earhart was also a member of the National Association of Aeronotik Boston branch, and through the organization that he invested some money in the construction of the airfield and the sale of Kinner airplanes in the Boston area.

He also writes columns of local newspapers about the flight and when his name known among the local community, he helped market Kinner airplanes-pewasat, promoting aviation and encourage women to become pilots.
According to the Boston Globe, Earhart was "one of the best women pilots in the United States", although this has been refuted by aviation experts and experienced pilots in the decades after that.

Trans-Atlantic flight in 1928

After Charles Lindbergh's solo flight across the Atlantic in 1927, Amy Guest, a wealthy American woman living in London, England expressed interest to become the first woman to fly (or fly) across the Atlantic.

After the trip was considered too dangerous to himself he passes, he offered to continue sponsoring the project, saying that they would find "another girl with the right image." While working on an afternoon in April 1928, Earhart get a phone call from a man who asked him:

"Would you fly across the Atlantic? "

Earhart did an interview with a coordinator of the project which consists among others of the book's publisher George P. Putnam and asked to join pilot Wilmer Stultz and Louis Gordon ko-pilot/mekanik the flight, officially as a passenger, but with the additional task of filling the log book. The team departed from the port of Trepassey, Newfoundland in a Fokker F7 on June 17, 1928, and arrived at Burry Port, Wales, United Kingdom about 21 hours later. Because most of the time of flight using the "instruments" and Amelia had no training for this type of flight, he did not fly the plane. When interviewed after landing, he said:
"Stultz who flew completely - it should be. I only charge items only, like a sack of potatoes ... maybe one day I'll try it alone. "
While in England, Earhart flew Avro Avian 594 Avian III, SN: R3/AV/101 owned by Lady Mary Heath. He then bought the plane and sent him to America (where the plane is referred to as an "unlicensed aircraft identification number" 7083).
When the crew returned to the United States, they were greeted by a parade in New York and a reception by President Calvin Coolidge at the White House.

Celebrity image

. Putnam instructed Earhart to hide a smile with his teeth to let his mouth closed in formal photographs.
Because the body is similar to Lindbergh, as the press dubbed "Lucky Lindy's", American society began to dub Amelia as "Lady Lindy". Press also said that Earhart was "Queen of the Air" in power. Soon after he returned from the United States, he undertook an exhausting lecture tour (years 1928-1929). Meanwhile, Amelia Putnam seeks to promote the marketing campaign, including published books authored Amelia, a new series of lecture tours and using pictures to marketing of products, including luggage, cigarettes' "Lucky Strike" (this causes problems for her image, with the magazine McCall revoke an offer), [43] and women's clothing and sportswear. The money that he can with "Lucky Strike" donated $ 1,500 to Richard Byrd's South Pole expedition.

Amelia by actively participating in the promotion, especially in women's fashion. For several years she sewed her own clothes, but clothes-themed series "active life" sold in stores like Macy's 50 metropolitan areas, is an expression of the new Earhart image. Suitcase which he marketed as Koper Modernaire promoting Earhart. He believes that the suitcase is a need for air travel and still diproduksi.Kampanye by GP Putnam successful in mentanamkan Earhart celebrity image to the public.

Promote aviation

Image of her celebrity to help Amelia finance her flight. He accepted a position as editor of Cosmopolitan magazine, and he uses this forum as an opportunity to campaign to make the flight more acceptable to the public, especially focusing on the role of women in aviation. In 1929, Earhart was one of the first aviators to promote commercial air travel through the construction of an air service flight service.

He, together with Charles Lindbergh represented Transcontinental Air Transport (Air Transport between continents), and invest time and money in setting up the service between New York and Washington DC. (TAT later became TWA). He was deputy leader of National Airways, which operates flights Boston-Maine and several other air services in the northeast. In 1940, his name became Northeast Airlines.

Competitive aviation

Although he was famous for transatlantic flight, Earhart tried hard to make a record "without blemish" to dirinya.Segera after he returned after driving Avian 7083, she will make a long flight alone. In August 1928, Earhart became the first woman to fly alone across North America and back.

Later, he made his first attempt in the air races in 1929 for Santa Monica Women's Air Race-to-Cleveland (Will Rogers later changed the name of this race a "Powder Puff Derby"), got the third position. In 1930, Earhart became a member of the National Association of Aeronatik and he is actively promoting the establishment of separate women's record and contribute to the Federation Aeronautique Internationale (FAI) received similar international standards.

In 1931, the Pitcairn PCA-2 flying otogiro, he made a world record altitude of 18,415 feet (5613 m). Although from today's perspective it seems Earhart often perform stunt (strange or extreme events is difficult to do), its time this is done to make the United States over "to the air-minded" and assured them that "aviation was no longer confined to the brave and superhuman.

During this period, Earhart joined the Ninety-Nines as well, women's pilot organization that provides moral support and promote women in aviation. He met a woman pilot in 1929 after the Air Race for Women. He suggested the name based on the number of charter members. He later became the first leader of this organization in 1930.Amelia are fighters for the rights of women pilots, and when the 1934 Bendix Trophy race banned women, she openly refused to fly actress Mary Pickford to Cleveland to open the race.


For a time he was engaged to Samuel Chapman, a chemist from Boston, but they decided their engagement on 23 November 1928. In the same period, Earhart and Putnam spend time together resulting in an intimate relationship. George Putnam, who is known as a GP, divorced in 1929 and asked to marry Amelia, asked several times until finally Amelia agrees.  After their doubts, they were married on February 7, 1931 in Putnam's mother's house in Noank, Connecticut. Earhart referred to her marriage as a form of "partnership" with "dual control". In a letter he wrote to Putnam and hand delivered to him at the time of marriage, he wrote, "I want you to know I'm not going to hold you by the law of medieval devotion anything for me, so I will not consider myself bound to you.

Amelia opinion about marriage are liberal in those days because he believes in collective responsibility for the "workers" and explicitly rather than using his name called as Mrs. Putnam. When the New York Times insisted on calling Mrs. Putnam appropriate style of writing style, he laughed it off. George Putnam also immediately understood that he would be called "Mr. Earhart.

No honeymoon for them after marriage because Amelia participated in the promotional tour for nine days. Although Earhart and Putnam had no children, Putnam has two children from a previous marriage to Dorothy Binney (1888-1982).

Several years later, a fire broke out at the Putnam residence in Rye and destroyed many Putnam family treasures including Earhart's personal mementos. After the fire, Amelia and Putnam eventually moved to the west coast after the Putnam publishing company to sell its power at his cousin Palmer, and settled in North Hollywood which brought Putnam close to Paramount Pictures and the company's new position as head of the editorial board at the film company.

Transatlantic flight in 1932

Lockheed Vega 5b flown by Amelia Earhart at the U.S. National Air and Space Museum.
At the age of 34 years, on the morning of May 20, 1932, Earhart set off from the Port of Grace, Newfoundland. He tried to fly to Paris to drive a Lockheed Vega, following Charles Lindbergh's solo flight. After flying within 14 hours, 56 minutes with a strong north wind, the conditions are cold and unfriendly and mechanical problems, Earhart landed in the pasture in Culmore, north of Derry, Northern Ireland. When a farmer asked, "Have you flown far?", Amelia said, "From America". Where he landed is now the Amelia Earhart Centre.
He received the Distinguished Flying Cross from the Congress of the United States, Medalist knight of the French government and the National Geographic Society's gold medal from President Herbert Hoover.

Honolulu-Oakland flight

On January 11, 1935, Earhart became the first person to fly alone from Honolulu, Hawaii to Oakland, California. Flight through the ocean has been attempted by others, including participants Dole Air Race 1927, which had been planning this route to change his route. Amelia's flight carried out without any mechanical damage. In the last hours of her flight, she even relaxed and listened to radio broadcasts of the New York metropolitan opera. "

Flights Los Angeles - Mexico City, Mexico City - Newark

In 1935, he flew his plane Vega that he called "old Bessie, the fire horse," Earhart flew from Los Angeles to Mexico City on April 19, 1935. The flight was completed on May 8, 1935. On the flight there were not many events even though many see the crowd in Newark, New Jersey is there a concern [66] and he must be careful not to walk out of the ground plane into the crowd.

More flight

Earhart participated in long distance air races and he got the rank-5 at the Bendix trophy race in 1935, the best he can do is he aware of the aircraft to reach speeds beyond 195 meters per hour. This race is difficult because one of the competitors named Cecil Allen died in the crash's fiery departure and Jacqueline Cochran was forced to stop because of mechanical problems, fog and lightning storms that disrupt the race.

In between the years 1930-1935, Amelia had made a record seven women's speed and distance in various aircraft including the Kinner Airster aircraft, the Lockheed Vega and Pitcairn Autogiro. In 1935, aware of the limitations of the aircraft Vega in the ocean a long transatlantic flight, Amelia pondered in his own words:
"Gift ... one flight that I want to do is flight around the world.

Round the world flight in 1937


Lockheed L-10E Electra Amelia

Earhart joined the faculty of Purdue University in 1935 as a visiting faculty member to encourage women in engineering careers and as an advisor to the Department of Aeronautik.

In July 1936, he took the post Lockheed 10E Electra financed by Purdue and started planning a flight around the world. This flight will be done as far as 29,000 miles (47,000 kilometers), following a grueling equatorial line. Although the Electra being published in a "flying laboratory" little useful knowledge of the flight has been planned and prepared by Earhart desire to circumnavigate the globe with the collection of material and public attention for the next book. The first option is a navigation expert Captain Harry Manning, who became captain of the ship carrying President Roosevelt to Amelia back from Europe in 1928.

Through contacts in the community of Los Angeles flight, Fred Noonan was chosen as a navigation kedua.Ia has extensive experience in both marine navigation (he was captain of the ship) and air navigation. There are important additional factors that need to be taken when using air navigation for aircraft terbang.Rencana is beginning to Noonan to navigate from Hawaii to Howland Island, which is the hard part on the flight.

The first attempt

On the day of St. Patrick, March 17, 1937, they flew from Oakland, California to Honolulu, Hawaii. Harry Manning and Hollywood stunt pilot Paul Mantz (who became Earhart's technical advisor) to come with Earhart and Noonan on the flight. The problem with cause propeller aircraft must be repaired in Hawaii. Electra eventually end up at the airfield Luke Field on Ford Island, Pearl Harbor. Followed a three-day flight with Earhart, Noonan and Manning who boarded the aircraft and for aircraft engaged for takeoff, Earhart experienced ground loop (rapid rotation of a fixed-wing aircraft in a horizontal position while on the ground). Circumstances surrounding the ground loop remain controversial. Some witnesses at Luke Air Field claimed they saw the plane burst a tire.

Earhart's Electra find the right tire burst and / or landing gear had collapsed. Several sources, including Mantz, stated this is pilot error.
The plane was broken and canceled flights. The plane was delivered to Lockheed facilities in Burbank, California by ship for repairs.

The second attempt

While Electra repaired, Earhart and Putnam save money and prepare for a second attempt. Business was conducted with the flight route from west to east. The second attempt began with an unpublished flight from Oakland to Miami, Florida, and after arriving there, Earhart announced plans to circumnavigate the globe to the public. Different flight directions do kaerna global wind and weather changes. Fred Noonan was Earhart's only crew for the second flight. They departed from Miami on June 1, and after stopping a few times in South America, Africa, India, and Southeast Asia, he arrived at Lae, Papua New Guinea on June 29, 1937. By the time he arrived at Lae, he had been traveling along the 22,000 miles (35,000 km). The rest of the route along the 7,000 miles (11,000 km) it will be skipped in the Pacific ocean.

Departure from Lae

On July 2, 1937 (midnight in Greenwich Mean Time), Earhart and Noonan took off from Lae. They will fly to Howland Island, an island located in the Pacific ocean. Their last known position was near the islands Nukumanu. Itasca at Howland patrol boats to communicate with the Lockheed Electra 10E aircraft, piloted Earhart and guide them to Howland Island.

Recent emergence on the way to Howland Island

Through various misunderstandings (details of this incident are still controversial), last appearance on the way to Howland Island using radio navigation does not work. Fred Noonan had originally been written about issues that affect the accuracy of the navigation radio.

Several sources noted the lack of understanding Earhart Bendix direction finder antenna which is a new technology at the time. Have also stated this is a result of the chaos that might occur between the Itasca with a planned schedule Earhart communication system using a half-hour separation (with Earhart using Greenwich Civil Time (GCT) and the Itasca under the navy time zone).

The facts of the moving image Lae suggests that the radio antenna is mounted below the fuselage may be disconnected from the Electra during takeoff or landing on a grassy runway at Lae, but no antenna found in Lae. Don Dwiggins, in his biography of Paul Mantz, noted that the pilot had cut the antenna for disturbing and they should go back to the plane mengengkolnya each use.

Radio signals

During the emergence of Earhart and Noonan on the way to Howland Island, Itasca received strong and voice transmissions from Earhart, but she obviously can not hear voice transmissions from Itasca. At 7:42 am, Earhart sent a message:
"We should be just above you, but we can not see you - and fuel is running low. Repeatedly failed to contact you via radio. We flew at an altitude of 1,000 feet. "

Transmission at 7:58 o'clock in the morning saying that he could not hear the Itasca and asked them to send the sound signal so that Earhart could try to use radio as an auxiliary tool in order to reach to the destination (transmission was reported by Itasca which is the largest signal is heard, indicating Earhart and Noonan were in the immediate area). They can not send voice at a frequency that he asked for, so Morse code signals are used. Earhart confirmed receiving the code, but it can not determine the direction of flight.

At the last known transmission at 8:43 am, Earhart sent the message,

"We are on the line 157 337. We will repeat this message. We will repeat this message on 6210 kilohertz. Hold on. "

However, some time later he returned with the same frequency (3105 kHz) with a transmission that is recorded as "questionable".

"We are running on line north and south. "

Transmission may be to show that Earhart and Noonan he believed they had reached Howland position, and incorrect by about a 5 nautical miles (10 kilometers). Itasca use their boiler fuel oil to make a smoke signal sekain time, but they did not see it. The number of clouds that spread in the area around Howland Island have also been noted as a problem: the dark shadow of these clouds on the surface of the ocean may be indistinguishable from a very flat island.

The question of whether the radio signal is received after the loss of Earhart and Noonan, remains controversial. If the transmission is received from the Electra, the transmission may be weak and garble. Earhart's voice transmissions at 3105 KHz, the frequency of which is restricted to the use of aviation in the United States by FCC.Frekuensi is not considered suitable for radio broadcast over long distances. When Earhart was at cruise altitude and is in the middle of the path from Lae to Howland (located about 1,000 miles or 1,600 kilometers of each other), there is no station transmitting scheduling hearing at 08:15 GCT. [80] The transmitter 50-watt transmitter that used by Earhart antenna mounted on a distance of less-than-best-type-V.

The last voice transmission received on Howland Island from Earhart indicated she and Noonan were flying through the line positions (taken from a "sun line" the angle of 157-337 degrees) which Noonan should be calculated by using the chart to get through Howland Island. [83] After all contacts lost on Howland Island, attempts were made to achieve a good pilot with the transmission of voice and Morse code. Operators in the Pacific and the United States may hear the signal from the Electra that crashed, but the transmission can not be understood or weak.

There are some transmissions that are false, but others considered the original. Signal captured by Pan American Airways stations suggested signals originating from multiple locations, including the island Gardner.Pada that time, if the signal comes from Earhart and Noonan, they must be on land and water with the aircraft's electrical system will shorten the signal rarely Elektra -is rarely reported for 4 to 5 days after Earhart's disappearance but no outcome information that is understandable. Captain of the USS Colorado later said:

"No doubt many stations calling the Earhart aircraft in flight frequency, some with voice and other signals. It all adds to the confusion of the truth of the report. "

The search

Beginning approximately one hour after the last message recorded Earhart, USCG Itasca run a search on the west and north of Howland Island failed by the early suspicion about the transmission of the plane. The U.S. Navy soon joined the search and send resources to the search area around Howland Island. Itasca initial search by the search to include the position of the line 157/337 north west of Howland Island. Itasca then searched the area south of Howland Island. Search area is larger than the area in the northwest. Based on the location of the transmitting radio transmission Earhart some expected, some of the search effort is directed to a position 281 degrees west of Howland Island without finding land or evidence of the fliers.

Four days after the last radio transmissions from Earhart is verified, on July 6, 1937, Colorado captain received orders from the commander of the Fourteenth Naval District to take over all units of the navy and coast guard in order to coordinate the search effort.

More search efforts are directed to the Phoenix Islands, south of Howland Island. One week later after the disappearance of Amelia Earhart, naval aircraft flew over several islands including the island of Gardner, which has been unoccupied for more than 40 years. The next report from the island of Gardner contains:

"Here a sign of a new settlement is clearly visible but repeated observations failed to get any response from the population as possible and ultimately found that no one was there ... On the west side of the island a steamer (about 4,000 tons) ... upside down and almost dry on the coral beach with her back broken in two places. Laguna beach on the island of Gardner looks quite deep and large enough so that a sea plane or even seaplanes can land or depart to various directions with little difficulty or even without any at all. Believed there is a possibility that Earhart landed his plane in this lagoon and swim to shore. "

They also found that large and the shape of the island such as Gardner was drawn on the map is not accurate. Other naval search directed to the north, west and southwest of Howland Island, based on the possibility of Electra landed in the ocean, float or raft pilots are in an emergency.
Official search efforts conducted through July 19 1937.Dengan fund $ 4 million, air and sea search by the navy and coast guard is searching the most expensive in history at the time, but search and rescue techniques as long as it is not perfect and some of the search based on allegations errors and missing information. The official report of the search effort was under the care of people about how their role in the search for the hero of the United States, may be reported by the press. Although the search effort has been made remarkable by the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard, there is no physical evidence was found of Earhart, Noonan or the Electra 10E.

Immediately after the end of the official search, George P. Putnam search funded privately by local authorities in the Pacific islands and surrounding waters, concentrating on the Gilbert Islands. At the end of July 1937, Putnam hired two small boats while he stays in the United States, set up in the search Earhart Phoenix Islands, Christmas Island, Fanning Island, Gilbert Islands and Marshall Islands, but no trace of Earhart and Noonan or the Electra.

Theory of falling and drowning

Many researchers believe the Electra ran out of fuel and Earhart and Noonan landed lead on the water. Navigation and aeronautics expert technicians Elgen and his wife Marie K. Long Long has devoted over 35 years of extensive research on the theory of "crash and sink", which is an explanation that is currently the most accepted definition of such loss.

U.S. Navy Col. F. Laurance Safford, (retired, died), which is responsible for the Strategic Direction Net Search Central Pacific during the inter-war inter-war period, and the decomposition of the messages the Japanese PURPLE cipher used in the attack on Pearl Harbor; began a long analysis of the Earhart flight during the 1970s, including the documentation of radio transmissions that are convoluted. He came to the conclusion, that "poor planning, worse execution."

Navy Rear Adm. Richard R. USA Black (retired - died) which is an administrative person in charge of the airfield at Howland Island, and is present in the radio room at the Itasca, 1982 stating that "Electra crashed into the sea about 10 am, on July 2, 1937 not far from Howland ".

Aviation historian Roy Nesbit United Kingdom, concluded that Earhart's Electra aircraft was not refueled in full in Lae. William L. Polhemous, an expert on aviation navigation Pellegreno Ann in 1967 that followed the original flight path Earhart and Noonan, studied navigational tables dated July 2, 1937 and thought Noonan may have miscalculated the "single track approach" aimed at "about" Howland.

David Jourdain, a former colonel Navy submarines and marine technicians specializing in the discovery of the deep ocean, has claimed that all transmissions are attributed to Gardner Island were false. Through his company Nauticos, he conducted an extensive search in 1200 in northern and western quadrants Howland Island in the two deep-sea expedition valued at $ 4.5 million (2002, 2006), and did not find anything. Search locations from a position line (157-337), which was broadcast by Earhart on July 2, 1937. various interpretations Elgen Long has made Jourdain concluded that "analysis of all data we have - the analysis of fuel, radio calls, and others - show me that he (Earhart) has crashed in the waters around Howland ".

Earhart's stepson, George Palmer Putnam Jr.., Was recorded saying that he believes that "the plane had run out of fuel." Thomas Crouch, Senior Curator of the National Air and Space Museum of the United States had claimed that Earhart's Elektra / Noonan "fell from altitude of 18,000 feet "which may result in the distribution of artifacts that can rival the Titanic discoveries, adding:" ... the mystery is part of what keeps us interested. In this case, we continue to remember it (Earhart), because he is the one our favorite lost.


Amelia Earhart is known as a celebrity during his life. Hundreds of articles and several books written about his life. Earhart is generally regarded as the face of feminist.

Records and achievements

The world record for female flight altitude: 14,000 feet (1928)
The first woman to fly across the Atlantic (1930)
Record speed of 100 km (1931)
The first woman to fly otogiro (1931)
Altitude record for otogiro: 15,000 feet (1931)
The first person to cross the United States with otogiro (1932)
The first woman to fly alone across the Atlantic (1932)
The first person to fly across the Atlantic twice (1932)
The first woman to receive the Distinguished Flying Cross (1932)
The first woman to fly non-stop from coast to coast in the United States (1933)
Trans-continental speed record for women (1933)
The first person to fly alone across the Pacific Ocean itself between Honolulu, Hawaii and Oakland, California (1935)
The first person to fly from Los Angeles, California to Mexico City, Mexico (1935)
The first person to fly alone nonstop from Mexico City, Mexico to Newark, New Jersey (1935)
Speed ​​record for a flight from Oakland, California to Honolulu, Hawaii (1937)

Leave a Reply